Favourite and least favourite math teachers

I had a few math teachers I really liked, but I think my all-time favourite was my grade 12 calculus teacher. I appreciated that her class was very structured: at the beginning of class, we would start by going over homework questions from last class, then we would get into the lesson for the day, and then we would get time to work on the new homework and ask questions for the remainder of the class. I think that having this consistent routine really helped to know what was expected of me in the class and allowed me to plan ahead and manage the class around my other responsibilities. I also appreciated how knowledgeable and passionate she was in the subject. I think this passion for math was passed onto me throughout my term with her. Lastly, I really like that she was funny without making anyone feel bad or discouraged. Altogether, her class was a very inclusive and fun space to be a part of, and that always made me look forward to attending.

On the other hand, I would say that one of my least favourite math teachers was from my introduction to complex variable course at university. The professor talked very slowly and unenthusiastically, so I was often bored and had trouble focusing. When someone asked a question, he would seem bothered and repeat what he said in the lesson, rather than identifying the confusion or trying to explain it in a different way. Because of this, homework felt confusing and frustrating because I had trouble learning in class, and I ultimately really resented the course.

When thinking about what I should take away from my favourite math teacher, I like the idea of bringing clear structure and expectations into the classroom. Beyond that, I already feel like I have the enthusiasm and positive spirit that she had. Alternatively, I want to make an explicit effort to make sure I am patient with my students, even when I have to repeat myself or be creative in my explanations, as to not repeat the feelings my complex variables professor made me feel.


Comments

  1. Great ideas here: setting up useful structures, showing delight and enthusiasm, and having lots of patience!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One-by-one group write up

Skemp Reading Response